Eddie is the founder and Chair of the Texas House Farm-to-Table Caucus, the first of its kind in the country. The Caucus focuses on the issues relating to small farms, ranches and coastal fishing operations as well as the distributors and consumers of their goods. Its mission is to improve public policies on food security, nutrition, hunger, childhood obesity and the availability of locally-sourced foods for Texas families.
Eddie serves as Policy Chair of the Mexican American Legislative Caucus, the largest and oldest of its kind in the country and the largest bipartisan caucus in the Texas Legislature. Its mission is to “serve the members of the Texas House of Representatives, and their staffs, particularly in regard to matters of interest to the Mexican-American community of this state, with the goal of providing a strong cohesive voice on those matters in the legislative process.”
Eddie’s public service extends beyond the Capitol to civic activities around Austin.
- Austin Anti-Defamation League, Board member
- Capital Area Council of Governments, Executive Committee non-voting member
- Economic Growth Business Incubator, Board member
- Texas Lyceum, Director
His former civic involvement includes:
- Alliance for Public Transportation, Member
- Urban Roots, Board member
- Austin Pets Alive!, Past President
- ZACH Theatre, Trustee
- Austin Habitat for Humanity, Board member