Please forgive this week’s delayed Notes & Noticias. I typically like to get this to you on Thursdays, but it slipped my mind as I was in Dallas on a work trip. This summer heat is also clearly to blame. Speaking of summer heat, what are you up to this season? Be sure to take advantage of some of these free and cheap activities going on around town:
- Go for a dip at Barton Springs for free after 9 p.m. or at any one of the City of Austin’s neighborhood pools.
- Check out the scene at Cinema East at the historic French Legation.
- Enjoy good family fun at Sound & Cinema outside the Long Center.
- Have fun at McKinney Falls State Park.
TxDOT Projects in Our Neighborhoods
This week, I attended an open house sponsored by TXDOT to hear more about one of their major projects in House District 51. Representatives from TxDOT discussed some of the proposed changes that will affect my constituents, including:
- Replacing bridge crossings at Riverside Drive and Woodland Avenue Widening I-35 bridges over Lady Bird Lake to accommodate divided travel lanes and widened shoulders
- Adding collector-distributor lanes under Riverside Drive to improve intersection traffic flow Modifying existing main lanes to improve sight distance
- Improving bicycle and pedestrian facility along I-35 frontage roads and Riverside Drive
These plans are slated to be completed by early 2016. I know I’m excited about these changes and look forward to sharing more with you. Stay tuned for a future town hall I’ll be hosting with engineers from TxDOT to discuss these projects with you.
Stonewall Glen Maxey Awards
The Stonewall Democrats of Austin are throwing a great event to honor and roast my former boss, Representative Glen Maxey. I am proud to sponsor this year’s event, which will be on Sunday, August 2 from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. at the Highland Lounge, 404 Colorado Street. There will be food and cash bar including a specialty drink. Y’all should attend! Click here for more information.
YMCA Olympic Day
Today the YMCA of Austin hosted their 2015 YMCA Summer Camp Olympic Day. Each summer, YMCA’s Program Services gathers hundreds of summer campers for an exciting Olympic-themed field day. Each camp represents a different country and participates in fun games & activities! As head of the YMCA Caucus, I look forward to strengthening the relationship between the Y’s in the state and the Caucus.